[Start of image description: A blue background with a rainbow. A image of a forest with a cozy cottage and a campfire on the left. On the right is a log with a basket of yarn and needles, a black cat holding a ball of red yarn with another basket of yarn and a frog next to it. There is toodstools scattered around the forest and there is an owl in the tree. In the middle is the Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits logo with the words “Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits” End of image description.]

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Free pattern: I Cord Coaster

Picture of free i-cord coaster knitting pattern


I've created a simple i-cord coaster using the fun technique of i-cords.  I knitted a couple for my coffee table.  They look great in any colour and ones knitted in varigated yarn are quite interesting. Here is our I cord coaster free pattern, inspired by vines in a forest. 


[Start of image description for image above: A photo of an I-Cord coaster knitted in forest green. On top of the photo at the top is a white rectangle with the words "knitting patterns". Underneath is a sage green rectangle with two white stripes and the words "Free I-Cord Coaster Pattern". End of image description.]

This blog post was originally published on 5th May 2018 and has recently been updated with new images, image descriptions and inspiration behind the design. 


What can you use this pattern for? 

This pattern is for personal use only


About/Inspiration behind the design

The winter brings cooler weather and more days spent inside. The forest is one of my favourite place there is something so peaceful and calming about it, the vines in the forest inspired this I-cord coaster as a way to bring nature inside during the winter.  It also reminds me of the rings on tree stumps we would count before sitting on the tree stumps, now my children count the rings before sitting down on them. I made the I-cord into a coil to make the coaster.

 

Picture of free I-Cord Coaster knitting pattern by Arjaye

[Start of image description: A photo of a forest green I-Cord coaster on a wooden table on top of the photo at the top is a white rectangle with the words " free knitting patterns". Underneath is a sage green rectangle with two white stripes and the words "Free I-cord Coaster Pattern" and the words "Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits. blogspot. com at the bottom. End of image description.]

I cord coaster pattern



Picture of knitted I-cord coaster

[Start of image description: A wooden table with a knitted forest green  I-cord coaster. End of image description.] 

You will need to know how to:


Materials

  • 5mm needles either double pointed needles (DPN's) or straight needles
  • 25grams of cotton DK/8Ply yarn (cotton works best as acrylic yarn will felt when used with hot drinks).
  • Yarn needle
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure

Gauge

Not important but different gauges will effect the size of the finished coaster.


Sizing:

41 1/2 inches long (not stitched)


Before you cast on

Please read through the pattern before starting


Tutorials


Pattern

Cast on 4 stitches
Knit I cord until it is 41 1/2 inches long
Cast off
Roll up in a coil as shown in the photo below, stitching as you go.

Make as many as you wish, they look great in variegated yarn and would also look great in two colours changing colours every 6-8 rows or you could make it into the coil as you go and make a ring in brown and one in tan alternating the two colours so it looks like the rings on a tree stump.  You could also use scraps of yarn leftover to create a rainbow or just randomly use the different colours and just thread the ends in later on or use them when stitching up the coaster.



 [Start of image description: A wooden table with a close up of a forest green I-cord coaster. Made by wrapping the I-Cord around like a coil and stitching it in place. End of image description.]

© 2018 Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits.


Thank you so much for knitting my pattern, please consider making a donating to my ko-fi account all money goes towards my current goal which you can find on my Arjaye's Ko-fi page. Make a donation or help by sharing the link http://ko-fi.com/arjaye 

Thank you so much for your support both to those who share my Ko-fi page and/or donate every little bit helps and I'm so grateful for your help and support.


If you have any questions about the pattern please contact us I offer full pattern support you can either  contact us or ask your question in our online community Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits Place on facebook. I also love hearing from knitters who have and are using our patterns. 

I love seeing knitters progress on Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits designs please...
  • Use the hashtag cozywoodlandcottageknitsdesigns or tag @cozywoodlandcottageknits on Instagram
  • Tag @cozywoodlandcottageknits on Facebook 
  • Post your project inside our community Cozy Woodland Cottage Knits Place

Picture of I-cord coaster, please pin


[Start of image description: A photo of a forest green I-Cord coaster on a wooden table with a white rectangle and the words "knitting patterns" at the top of the photo. A sage green rectangle with the words "Free I-cord Coaster Pattern" and the words "The winter brings cooler weather and more days spent inside. The vines in the forest inspired this coaster as a way to bring nature inside during the winter. End of image description.]


Happy knitting and hope you have fun knitting your own I-cord coasters. 

Picture of Arjaye's name with a flower next to it.

2 comments:

Ginx Craft said...

Very handy, although I wish I could train all my family to use coasters.

Arjaye said...

Laughs, oh dear about needing to train them. Mine get used as mini frisbees by my children - I wondered why they were all over the house laughs.

Featured post

The Lady Gadget Blogger Template Services

Love Letters Out Now On!